Monday, May 23, 2011

Giant Cupcake Birthday Cake

My first paying customer - WooHoo!  A lady at work ordered a giant cupcake birthday cake for her daughter's birthday this week.  To be honest, aside from the elation of having a paying customer, the request filled me with dread!  I had no idea how on earth I was going to pull this one off.  I know that you can buy moulded pans overseas for this type of cake, but not here is South Africa (believe me I searched).  I therefore had to build this cake from scratch, which was not easy.  However, I am very pleased with the result.

The request was for pink & silver.  I've never worked with silver before, and was a little nervous of it, but I'm very pleased with the result.  I made all the decorations, except the ribbon.  The 'cup' is made from fondant stips that I painted with silver powder mixed with alcohol to make a paste.



This cake was quite difficult to photograph because the silver tended to reflect, which diffused the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment