Monday, May 23, 2011

My First Attempt - Lolo's Lion

Just after I decided to try my hand at some serious cake decorating, my daughter (who works as a teacher's assistant while she studies) asked if I would make a birthday cake for a little boy in her class.  His birthday had been that week, and he had been very sad because he was the only child not to bring a birthday cake to class on his birthday.  His parents are very poor, and couldn't afford a cake.  I jumped at the opportunity and the lion cake above is the result.

I used a sunflower moulded cake tin for the shape.  I had to bake two cakes to get the height & 3D effect.  I made the face and ears from fondant, and covered & decorated the board in fondant.  The mane is buttercream icing, and the piping was done by my daughter, Sherae.

Lolo was thrilled with his lion cake, and didn't want the rest of the class to get too close to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment